Monday, October 31, 2011

Who Am I?

Today is the end of the month of Lori.  For those of you who do not know, I am quite a goof ball about my birthday (Oct. 29th).  Years ago (I don't remember why) I started proclaiming this designation on Oct. 1st.  My family humored me.   I even started handing out tiaras for other women to wear on their birthdays.  I was known as the birthday fairy at church, and I did that for a number of years.

O.k. men...I can only speak accurately from a woman's perspective.  So,  that's is what I am about to do.

As women, we typically wear so many hats: wife, mother, teacher, student, daughter, sister, friend, nurse, doctor, pastor, engineer, landscaper, author, editor, cruise director, purchasing agent, accountant, carpenter, plumber, chauffeur, fashion consultant, seamstress, interior designer, chef, maid...etc...AND...that's all before we leave the house to go to work.  If we are not careful we will get caught up in defining ourselves by all of the things that we do, and forget who we really are.

I used to give out those tiaras because I wanted women to have a license to feel special and connect with their true identity at least one day a year.  My hope was that they would realize who they really were, and that the knowledge would last.  We, as Christians, are LITERALLY sons and daughters of the KING...princes and princesses - hence the tiaras.

I realized this year, as my birthday came and went, that it (my birthday) didn't matter so much to me anymore.  By the grace of God, I believe that I finally have more of a grasp on who I am in Christ.  We have been so wrapped in His care and loving-kindness since this adventure began that it would have been difficult not to see His hand covering us.

Nick is back at Vanderbilt (Rm 11020.)  The plan that I wrote about in my last blog entry has begun to be executed.  He is supposed to come home this Saturday.

Who am I?  Yes, I am the mom of a son who is battling for his life, but, birthday or not...I am a princess whose son is a prince.  It is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment