Friday, February 24, 2012

It Took My Breath Away

Have you ever experienced something that took your breath away?  No, I mean really took your breath away...  not like a roller coaster or a punch to your midsection, but something that was so life changing that the emotion created some sort of pressure gradient that was incompatible with the involuntary action of breathing?   This week I saw a baby born for the first time.  It was wonderful, miraculous, and beautiful, but that wasn't it.  This week I saw an evening sunset sky that literally made me cry and spontaneously worship the Maker of the heavens and the earth, but that wasn't it either.
 
A week ago today, Nick had his first post transplant bone marrow biopsy and a second biopsy on his arm.  We were expecting the results on Monday.  We received the news that he had an outbreak of Graft vs. Host on his arm that was easily treatable, but no word on the bone marrow.   Maybe Tuesday, but no.  Surely by Wednesday...didn't happen.  By Wednesday evening Nick was terrified.  He called me late that night to say that when we did get the results, he did not want to know.  I comforted him the best I could, but there wasn't much that I could say.  It was not a very good night for any of us.

The next morning I went to work with a program introducing healthcare careers to high school kids.  So, my phone was off until about 11:00 a.m.  After the program was over, several of us were sitting around talking, and I realized that I had not checked my phone.  I pulled it from it's hiding place, (Some of you know where that is) and peeked at the screen.  Then it happened.  All of the blood rushed to my head.  My breath was gone and the tears began to flow.  "Leukemia free" was the phrase that I saw.  I think that at that moment there was just so much thankfulness in my heart that there wasn't enough room in my chest cavity for the thankfulness and the air.  The people around me thought I was having some sort of cardiac episode or seizure or something.  So, as soon as I could speak I shared the news.  Everyone in the room was crying by then.

But wait.  There's more.  Today we got the news that Nick is officially converted to Amanda's DNA and blood type, which means that the transplant is officially a success.   Today is day 35...not day 90.  It was supposed to take at least three months.

I know that you probably find this hard to believe, but I do not have any words to express my gratefulness and awe at the events of this week.

All that I can say is...It is well.

2 comments:

  1. Did not Jesus say, "Ask nd you Shall receive?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Amanda post the news earlier this afternoon. That's just AWESOME news. God is a mighty, mighty healer!!!

    ReplyDelete