Friday, March 9, 2012

Patience...If It Were Easy, Everyone Would Be Doing It.

A dear friend of mine and I had an online discussion last night that sparked an internal conversation.  As we talked, she encouraged me that her family would continue to pray for wisdom and peace.  However, she further stated that they would not pray for us to have patience.  I agreed and we shortly discussed how patience should be a four letter word.  I told her that the faith part was easy, but that patience thing...well, that's another story.  Then I got to thinking.  Isn't that just one of the sweet things about our Heavenly Father.  He doesn't usually hit us over the head with things.  He prompts a dear friend to make a joke that nearly every christian has made before, and somehow, this time, it hits me like a ton of bricks.

At this point, I'm not sure that patience can be separated from faith.  I mean...without one...the other has little effect.  How valuable is it to have faith in God, but only if He operates in my timetable?  What other demonstration of faith do we have other than the patience that allows us to rest in His sovereignty?

I don't like needing patience (not one little bit), but the lack of it shows lack of faith...not only in God, but in our children, spouses, co-workers, students, etc.  Maybe we should stop considering "patience" a dirty word, and see that it is but one demonstration of love toward Him (and others) that He wants cultivated in our lives.

I need and desire for God and people to have patience with me.  So, I'm going to make a bold statement:  If you feel so led, pray for us to have patience.  It will only foster greater faith and God's intervention in our lives.  You might want to try it for yourself too.  (Just a suggestion.)

We are, by the grace of God, still awaiting answers to Nick's current difficulties.  Answers are coming, and it's all going to be O.K.

Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)

 22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

It is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment